11.29.2015

Sew Sunday ~ ALYOF November ~ Meeka's quilt

If you saw my post last week, then you know I finished my niece's quilt in time to take pictures of her on it.  <3  Clicky if you missed it and want to see lots of cute baby pictures.   As promised though, I will show you pictures of the quilt itself along with all the deets.


This quilt started as part of a quilt along with Angie Juda.  We did the quilt along on Facebook, but she has also posted the videos on her blog.  Clicky All I knew when it started was that we would be using a layer cake, and I had the a layer cake to use for my niece's quilt.  :)  It is called a double slice layer cake quilt.


I ran into a bit of a problem after I finished all the squares.  The quilt was too overpowering for a newborn.  I really wanted a softer look.  The first thing I tried was removing all the squares with the navy background in them.  This helped tremendously.  Then I tried removing some of the blocks and doing a full panel of pink fabric.   I also tried putting in a couple of blocks in the center.

 I thought having 2 stripes of pink surrounded by white might work.  The design wall really helped tremendously on this project!  I could not have created this quilt without it.

In the end I decided on 2 blocks in the center, framed by a narrow border of white, and then 2 larger borders of pink and white.



For some reason I also decided to use mitered borders.  This video CLICKY by the fat quarter shop made it almost easy.


The back side has a strip of some of the leftover blocks from the double slice quilt along and a whole lot of minky pink fabric for added softness.


Thank you, Angie, for creating such a fast, easy quilt.  It would have been even easier if I had stuck to your original design.  I love that I was able to make something from my heart in a short time period that will be used for years to come.  I'm also super excited that I got my finish for November done.
alyof2015
November Finish

Yesterday my sister in law sent me a 1 month old picture of my niece laying on her quilt from Auntie.  You can see my crazy string of butterfly flowers quilting in this one, if you can look past the adorableness that is Meeka.



4 comments:

KaHolly said...

Very sweet indeed! Soft and cuddly, just like the little model! Congrats on your finish?

Unknown said...

Your quilt is gorgeous. Congratulations on your finish :)

Deb@newcreativestate.wordpress.com said...

I've never seen mitered borders before but may have to try this. I love the arrangement of your blocks and the addition of white fabric - it was a great choice and really softens the quilt. A very cute and lucky little niece!

Unknown said...

I love this quilt! I also was looking for a "softer" version of the double slice for a boy quilt. The color will be yellow, gray and white. I was curious about the overall size of your quilt. Thanks so much.